IMPORTANT GENERAL INFORMATION PRIOR TO A GASTROSCOPY AND COLONOSCOPY:
- The day surgery will contact you the day before to advise you of the time of your procedure
- Do NOT eat or drink (nil by mouth) 6 hours prior to your scheduled admission time. Nil by mouth means no food, water, lollies or chewing gum.
- Do NOT drink alcohol the day before your procedure.
- You MUST arrange an escort to accompany you home.
- Essential medication such as blood pressure or heart medication MUST be taken on the day of your procedure with a sip of water.
- You are to cease taking anticoagulants (blood thinning medication) including Aspirin, Nurofen, Cartia, AS DISCUSSED WITH YOUR DOCTOR.
- Iron tablets or multivitamins and fish oil tablets containing iron should be ceased 7 days prior to your procedure.
- If you are diabetic, you will be provided with instructions regarding stopping your medication at the time of consultation.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE:
- Do not wear jewellery and do not bring valuables to the day surgery/hospital.
- You will be at the day surgery approximately 2-3 hours from the time of admission to discharge.
- The recovery nurse will contact your escort half an hour prior to your planned discharge to advise them.
- Your escort will need be directed to recovery to collect you
- You will be given post-op instructions at the time of your discharge from the day surgery. Please follow these instructions.
- You should rest at home for the remainder of the day.
- You can return to normal diet.
- Do not drive a car, operate machinery or sign legal documents for 24-hours after the procedure. If you drive, your insurance will not cover you for any accidents incurred during these 24-hours.
PLEASE SELECT THE DOCTOR WHO WILL BE PERFORMING THE COLONOSCOPY: